We hire trip leaders to lead four wilderness trips each session to help inspire young people to connect with the natural world and each other, challenge themselves, and learn outdoors skills within safely managed risks. Activities include canoeing, hiking, and camping. Campers range from ages 10 through 14 years of age, and trips range in length from 2-4 days. Activities include canoeing, hiking, and camping.
- The day before each trip, meet with the campers and counselors going on the trip, gather equipment, pack up trip food, and make sure all logistics are set.
- Maintain a safe and positive environment for the duration of each trip.
- Be responsible for all logistical aspects of the trips from meal planning and preparing, driving, guiding, and facilitating the experiences for the campers (the trips will be pre-planned).
- Teach camping and outdoor living skills.
- Lead and work in collaboration with the group’s cabin counselors.
- Be an excellent role model for campers.
- Care deeply for the development and well being of young people.
- Maintain all equipment in good working order.
- Drive campers to and from locations in a 14 passenger van, sometimes with a canoe trailer.
- Ensure safety of all participants.
- Update the Camp Director of any changes to itineraries or incidents.
- Keep records of all expenses.
- Maintain the Camp mission.
- Become familiar with and abide by wilderness trip protocols as stated in the manual.
- While staff members are usually assigned to one primary role you may be asked to help in other areas as well. We are one team and like many camps do not have a sharp division between jobs.
- Experience in planning, leading and supervising overnight camping trips
- CPR and Lifeguard certifications (lifeguard training is available at Glen Brook)
- WFA or WFR preferred
- Outdoor leadership experience
- A passion for and experience in working with a wide age range of children.
- Ability to supervise counselors assisting with the trip
- Minimum 21 years of age
- Must pass a criminal background check.
Salary: $3500 plus free room and wholesome board, worker’s compensation insurance. Job may qualify as college internship credit. We also hire trip leaders per-trip when there is alignment: reach out to talk about the possibilities!
Apply at glenbrook.org/apply