Make a clean break from your every-day life with a week on the land in the Glen Brook forest. Build a camp for our 5-day land-based orientation in the Glen Brook forest and experiment with bushcraft basics while learning the land where we live. Participate in discourses on human psychology and ecological philosophy. We help orient you to the program, your cohort, and your self.Want to Learn More?
Crafting the Art of Personal Responsibility
Our semester is divided into three multi-day intensives, where we forge our authentic identities through:
- Deliberate Wondering — to articulate your values, identify your goals, and take self-directed steps towards them with consistent daily practices and rituals
- Radical Self-Care and Emotional Development — to map your emotional landscape and identify the holes in your wholeness
- Identity Work — to understand the fullness of your story, where you come from, and how it informs your present life
Homestead Skills for a Hand-Made Life
With our courses, you will experience everything from cooking to farm life to basic financials.
- The Alchemy of Cooking: gain self-sufficiency and confidence in the kitchen, creating whole-food meals from scratch
- Practical Arts: build a basic understanding of tool use, introductory construction concepts, and working with wood
- Farm Life: grow your knowledge of the principles of small-scale agriculture and raising food
- Foundational Finance: establish a basic financial education and learn to manage your personal resources
Develop Village-Mindedness to become a Community Builder
Transform the way you consider conflict through the principles of Non-Violent Communication. Rouse your inner voice with workshops in Giving and Receiving Feedback with peers, leaders, and with your original written work. Hone your leadership skills as Leader of the Week while in camp, and as Leader of the Day while on Expedition. Strengthen your emotional capacities and awaken your authentic feeling of life. Join the wider Glen Brook community for games, gatherings, projects, and adventures.
Our Place-Based Apprenticeships are not like standard internships, but draw both on age-old models and new educational insights that recognize practical experience as a vehicle for potent interdisciplinary learning. As the program progresses, you will select an Apprenticeship in one of several tracks, including: The Farm and Garden track, The Culinary track, and The Experiential Educator track.
A majority of your time will be spent on these Apprenticeships and depending on the requirements of each track. As an apprentice, you will need to be increasingly independent and self-motivated as you learn by doing alongside the crafts-people that live and work here at Glen Brook.
Delving Into Our Wild Nature
We offer multi-day trips and expeditions to revel in wild places and put our learning to the test. We believe in intentionally wandering to peak your curiosity through solo time in nature and enjoy being outside. We have so much local ecology and natural history at Glen Brook that we are the perfect place to experience a solo quest where you can create a multi-day inner journey on the land.
Both semesters end with an independent project called the Deep Dive, where you will develop your own project to explore a particular area of interest. These projects are as varied as your cohort of fellow gappers!
EXAMPLES OF PAST PROJECTS:
- A solar dehydrator for the farm
- A 4-day solo backpacking trip, ending right at the Gap House
- A focused study of cooking flavors, and a quick-dish cookbook
- A study and presentation on satisfaction through work
- A self-designed ‘zine of gapper-written essays
- Serving as a teaching assistant at our local public school
Dates for Fall 2020:
Start: Sunday, September 6th
End: Sunday, November 22nd
Now Accepting Applications
$12,500 all-inclusive feeView 2020 application
"Gap at Glen Brook changed my life, and I know that sounds cheesy. The curriculum taught me to think deeply about my life and self...I feel like it has never left me."
"The Gap curriculum and community co-created an entirely new way of living for me: one that embraces intention, gratitude, and challenge."
"The Glen Brook property is truly a special place on earth, I am so thankful to have gotten a chance to reconnect with the earth there."
"Honestly, I think the canoe trip was one of the most important experiences of my life so far. It's something I will forever remember and cherish in my heart. I believe that trip had a profound impact on my life and self."
"Amazing, really, how much was accomplished and how much confidence and independence our son gained."