Each Summer we hire two leaders (one male and one female) to teach our Falcon Outdoor Leadership Program. Glen Brook's Falcon Program is an intensive three or six week leadership training program for high school students ages 14 to 16. The program's trip leaders strive to instill in all participants a sense of personal responsibility through wilderness experiences in Northern New England and stewardship of Glen Brook's forested and farm landscape. Both three-week sessions offer a canoe trip, backpacking trip, a day of high ropes, a day of rock climbing, building a canoe paddle, and trail stewardship.
You'll need to read more about the:
Leaders are responsible for working with the Program Director and the Trip Coordinator to orchestrate all aspects of the Falcon program. In addition to teaching and facilitating camper activities and experiences, you will assist in making contacts with certain guides and scheduling programming. Technical expertise in one or more of the following areas is desired: canoeing, kayaking, backpacking, climbing, and leave-no-trace camping. It is essential to have experience and passion for working with adolescents, preferably in a wilderness setting, along with a desire to teach stewardship and respect for the environment. Priority is given to candidates familiar with the mountains and waters of NH and adjacent states.
Dates for 2017: June 16—August 13 full time. June 16-July 1 are staff training days
Salary: Room and Board, plus $2,500-3,500 based on experience and qualifications.
· Prepare program logistics, from scheduling to activities
· Co-facilitate multi-day backpack and canoe trips
· Drive to activities in 14 passenger bus
· Supervise and facilitate use of equipment, cooking, packing, and cleaning
· Ensure safety and well being of campers
· Keep logs and first aid notes
· At least 21 years of age
· CPR and Lifeguard certifications (lifeguard training is available at Glen Brook)
· WFA or WFR preferred
· Experience leading trips in a wilderness setting
· Experience and enthusiasm for working with teens
· Strong work ethic and sense of initiative
· Clean driving record
· Desire to impart respect and stewardship for the environment
· Demonstrated leadership ability