Position: Cabin Counselor
Location: Camp Glen Brook in Marlborough NH
Glen Brook counselors love working with children and inspiring them to lead active, fulfilling lives. Counselors lead activities based on their specialties and skills as well as being the main point person and mentor for their cabin of 6-10 campers.
Being a counselor at Glen Brook is an incredible opportunity to be a vital part of a vibrant community, to make a difference in the lives of others, and hone teaching and leadership skills in an exciting environment.
Dates: June 20 – August 15th
Reports to: Summer Camp Director
- Mentor and supervise a group of 6-10 campers of your assigned age group during wake-up, cabin times, bedtimes, and throughout the day.
- Uphold camp’s mission and values as well as following all protocols outlined in the staff training and handbook.
- Manage risk and maintain the safety of campers.
- Provide leadership and assistance to the trip leader on one wilderness trip per session, varying in length depending on age group. Trips focus on day hiking or canoeing.
- Provide guidance and work with a ‘counselor in training’ assigned to your group.
- Facilitate or assist with various activities for campers of all ages including nature, games, swimming, farm and more.
- Live and sleep in a shared staff space near your group where you will be available for your campers when needed.
- Facilitate other aspects of the daily camp-wide program such as special events, meal times, lifeguarding, and evening activities.
- Staff may also specialize in elective activity areas. We encourage you to dream big!
- Develop healthy and appropriate relationships with campers.
- Conduct daily check-ins with campers.
- Practice professional presentation and communication with participants’ families, co-workers, and the public.
- Complete all necessary paperwork, i.e. incident reports, camper reports, trip reports.
- Bring positivity and empathy to every interaction at camp.
- Care deeply for the development and well being of young people.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Current Wilderness First Aid certification
- Current lifeguard certification
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Swim instruction
- Canoeing and kayaking
- Arts and crafts
- Ropes course
- Music and drama
- Farming and gardening
Salary: $2,300 – $3,500 based on experience.
Summer staff get daily time off as well as one full 24-hour period off per week.